10.13.2011

A super proud wuss

Okay, so.....

*sigh*

Today, at work, I called the dentist.


This describes perfectly how I feel about this.

I made myself call them, because I've had a toothache that's been coming and going for a while now. I don't know if it's my wisdom teeth or not, because it's been hurting into my upper jaw, but damn, it hurts like a mother fucker. And nothing really helps it, either. Trust me....nothing.

So I call them, and they are so super cheerful on the phone. Like yanking people's teeth and scraping people's gums is super-de-duper fun-comparable to a merry-go-round or running through a field of daises or something. I introduce myself and the receptionist/hyper-active-phone-lady says to me:

"Tell me a little about yourself!!!!"

Well, this caught me off guard. All I wanted to do was make an appointment, get off the phone, and tell everyone around me how proud of myself I was that I finally got enough balls to call the dentist--
even though I knew they'd all look at me like this:


I probably work with someone who looks like this.
Probably.

So nevertheless, I try to think back about "myself" like this girl is asking me, and then I realize, stupidly, that she's asking me about my dental history, not about my life in general. Thank God I realized it. Because boy, I would have felt seriously dumb if I had started off by saying:

"Well, basically I'm pretty much a
super happy person, like, all the time,
 and omg I soooo totally love monkeys
 and rainbows, giggle, giggle, wheee!"

( in case you're wondering, yes, I do enjoy seeing a cute monkey,
and yes, I'm a happy person,--that is accurate information. rainbows--meh.)


Anyway, I switched my thought process to a more depressing state-of-mind, and remembered the details of my dental childhood. I just basically told her that yes, I got kicked in the mouth when I was a young teen, yes, it totally sucked, yes I'm more-than-likely traumatized by it because I had removable teeth (although it was killer an Halloween). I also told her that now my basic point was to just get my tooth ache looked at, and to brighten up my teeth, so that I can take care of the thousands of dollars that I spent on my mouth. I honestly feel kind of bad that I might have a cavity or two. I should be taking better care of my teeth.
Shame on me.

But anyway...blah, blah, blah, I finished my conversation with her, after spending a grand total of 25 minutes on the phone with her. I mean, who spends 25 minutes of their lunch break talking to the receptionist at the dentist office? I was basically getting a counseling session from her. She was very nice, I can't say that she wasn't....she was just very, very, happy. Too much fluoride, maybe?
I don't know.

But when all was said and done, I made an appointment for next month, first thing in the morning, so I don't have an excuse to cancel. I can't believe I'm nervous for it already and the appointment is so far away. I feel like such a wuss! I am proud of myself for calling though. VERY proud. I feel like I deserve a pat on the back or something. I mean, I was SCARED....

But I said that already.

Anyway, you get my point.



Go me.




No comments:

Post a Comment